On August 24, 2006, 10 Kappamen came together with an idea of hope and desire to serve areas less impacted by Kappa Alpha Psi and neighboring organizations. Due to the declining economy and increase in hunger of struggling residents, these Brothers
By September 14, 2006, the Madison-Athens-Decatur (MAD) Association was organized and functioning to operate in the named neighboring cities as a community and outreach service group. During this time the MAD Association membership expanded to 22 Kappamen to support the ongoing effort.
On November 6, 2006, Brother Ronald Range, Southern Provincial Polemarch, notified the MAD Association of the petition approval from the Grand Board of Kappa Alpha Psi Fraternity to grant a Charter in the name of Decatur–Athens Alumni Chapter of Kappa Alpha Psi. This marked the beginning of a new Chapter in Kappa Alpha Psi’s History.
Chartered January 27, 2007, the Decatur-Athens Alumni Chapter was born. Province Polemarch Ronald E. Range presided over the ceremony, which was held at the Pine Grove Missionary Baptist Church in Harvest, AL. The first chapter initiate, 2007, is Roberto Vaz from Brooklyn, New York.
Achievements and Awards
- Since 2006 “ Feed-A-Family Project “has impacted over 300 families throughout Madison, Limestone and Morgan counties
- 2006 Presented a Resolution by the Madison County Commissioner
- 2007 Introduced “DA Summertime Santa” Campaign
- 2010 Introduced “Hearts 4 Smiles” in support of Battered Women and Children in North Alabama
- 2010 Awarded best “theme design” during Athens Relay 4 Life Cancer Walk
- 2011 Paul W. Caine Southern Province Small Chapter of the Year
- 2011 Morgan County Parent and Children Together PACT Volunteer of the Year Award
- 2011 Presented a proclamation by the Mayor of Athens proclaiming “Kappa Alpha Psi’s Ability Plus Day”
- 2012 Introduced Guide Right / Kappa League in Decatur and Athens
- 2013 Plaque presented by Madison County DHR for Kinship Care Program
- 2014 Southern Province Small Chapter Community Service of the Year
- 2017 Southern Province “SMALL” Chapter WEBSITE OF THE YEAR
- 2020 Voter Registration & Census Drive which saw over 2000 individuals register to vote and fill out their census information
- 2018 – Present Continued support via the Feed-A-Family Project within the community and medical facilities that remained open during the COVID-19 pandemic and there afterwards